Monday, August 3, 2015

Book Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass (The Selection Book 1)

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Page Count: 336
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian Romance
Rating: 4/5

Going in to the Selection, I expected it to be The Bachelor, and super annoying. I decided to read this solely because my teacher bought me the third book and I wanted to read it, and tell her what I thought.

Now, when I began, I was still under this impression, and was waiting for it to get super super annoying, and that I probably wouldn't enjoy it too much. BUT

I really really enjoyed this book! This book is so much more than what it seems. The rebels from North and South, the government, the way the society is set up is actually interesting. Not exactly, original persay, but still gives a new light to a simple concept. Kiera Cass definitely put a lot of thought into this world.

 I actually enjoyed the majority of the characters, which is surprising, and loved America because she was actually real.

Cons: The names. I mean seriously? America Singer who is a singer... that is just cheesy. It's forgivable though. Honderagua, seriously? The combinations of all these different places on Earth today is a little creative, but also cringe worthy.

More thoughts:
Celeste was super duper annoying, and almost too mean. I'd love to actually see what her backstory is because I feel like that would add depth to her character. I am hoping for a future breakdown from her to see her actually show emotions and seem human.

I like Prince Maxon, actually, because he is just trying to figure this all out.

Aspen, at first, I liked. Later in the story, I just don't feel anything for him. I want America to tell him off, for being horrible. even though he isn't that bad, I just don't like him.

This book is the epitome of a guilty pleasure read. Onto The Elite!

No comments:

Post a Comment