Friday, August 21, 2015

Book Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas (Throne of Glass Book 2)

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)

Title: Crown of Midnight
Author: Sarah J Maas
Page Count: 418
Genre:Young Adult, Fantasy
Rating: 5/5 Stars

Consensus: Celaena's badass nature is back, and better than ever in this thrilling sequel to the beloved Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas. Maas weaves complex Fae lore into a kingdom in complete disarray reminiscent of a dictatorship. The love "triangle" is actually well written and the boys are someone you legitimately care about in the end. Maas wrote a sequel that improves upon the world building set forth in the first. Maas is the arising queen of YA fantasy, and is definitely one to watch.

AS THIS IS BOOK TWO I WILL WARN OF SPOILERS!!!!!!! Plus, It's hard to talk about this one without spoiling something.......

I have heard that Sarah J Maas' books get better as they go, so I'm expecting more for this than I did for Throne of Glass. Which I really really enjoyed. I'm excited to see how Celaena will fare with being the King's Champion.

This book begins after Celaena has begun her bidding for the King as his Champion. She must basically murder anyone he asks her too. Little does he know, she is not actually killing them. She is setting them free, allowing them that choice, be killed or change your name and be free. She learns as much information about each of them so she can use this to trick the king and learn more about plans to overthrow/rebel against the king.

Celaena returns in this book with more heart, already, I can see her love for Chaol and respect of his friendship growing. I admire her friendship with Nehemia who is incredibly intelligent and a great chat partner for Celaena. Chaol is as strong-witted and protective as ever. Dorian continues to overthink things and become jealous of Chaol as he gets closer to Celaena. Kaltain is in this (in the beginning as I'm writing this) story, which means she still has a role to be played. I'm predicting that she is being used, still, as the king's puppet.

I like the mystery of what Wyrdmarks mean, however, they freak me out every single time they are mentioned. I just feel icky when they are around because I sense great power from them and feel as if they can destroy everyone and everything.

Something I am questioning: Will Sarah J Maas always incorporate Fae lore into her stories? I'm intrigued to see if this will be a theme of all her novels or not. Time shall tell. So far, Throne of Glass series plus ACOTAR series. Two of them, both have Fae, but one has more. (Not that I don't like Fae but with such a great author, I would love to see her branch out. I would even love a contemporary for her, because I think it would be interesting.)

Crown of Midnight is fantastic at this point, and as the backstories form cohesively, I am enjoying it more and more.

The more I read the more I love this book and half way through, I AM SO ANGRY AND SAD AND FILLED WITH SO MANY EMOTIONS. WHY SARAH J MAAS WHY.

She (Being Sarah J Maas) killed someone, and I am angry, but I see why it had to happen. My emotions are going haywire with this one.

The book is getting continuously more intense, and my enjoyment is growing. The Wyrdmarks, Wyrdgates and everything related to the Wyrd both intrigue and frighten me, because they hold immense power.

The introduction of the Iron Witches was very well done and I appreciate the thought put into it.

The fighting between certain characters pain me, and I want it to stop.

By the end of this story, I loved it. Almost every minute of it. 

I cannot wait until I can buy Heir of Fire, because I don't ever want to stop living in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment