Tuesday, July 5, 2016

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab (Monsters of Verity Book #1)

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
Title: This Savage Song
Author: Victoria Schwab
Page Count:
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy, Monsters, Paranormal
Rating: 4.5 Stars!
Source: I won a UK copy!
Links: Goodreads Amazon Barnes & Noble The Book Depository
Synopsis: There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from author Victoria Schwab, a young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. The first of two books.

Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city—a city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the innocent—but he’s one of the monsters. One who can steal a soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate, who’s just been kicked out of her sixth boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But Kate discovers August’s secret, and after a failed assassination attempt the pair must flee for their lives.


Review:

This Savage Song is a symphony of gorgeous violin chords played onto the backdrop of a city where monsters not so secretly hide among you and is brought to life by Schwab's distinct voice and incredibly beautiful writing. This book is super unique and special and absolutely breathtaking.

"Just for the record. I think this is a terrible idea."

And this book is most definitely not a terrible idea. It is a phenomenal idea.

Our two main characters are Kate Harker and August Flynn. Kate Harker is the daughter of a kind of a mogul. Her dad has control of half of the city and then Henry Flynn has the other half. In one half, monsters run a little more freely and are under protection of Kate's father and the other half is under the control of Henry Flynn. (I must admit I read this a few weeks ago and now the details are a little hazy... just the name of a few things.)  Kate is not my favorite because she is kind of bitchy... but I also understand it. Her father's an asshole. Her annoying "I can get away with whatever I want" vibe makes sense to me, and by the end of it all, I felt like she grew quite a lot throughout the novel.

She is badass, but it's an almost "I'm special." which is my biggest complaint about the novel. God, do I feel for her though. Her circumstances are simply heartbreaking. Especially when everything is revealed, I was so emotionally invested in the stories.

And then we have August Flynn. He is a monster himself. and he doesn't want to be. He does anything and everything he possibly can do to not be a monster. He avoids his impulses. His inner turmoil is PHENOMENALLY written. It killed me. I loved him from moment one. He evokes such sympathy.

He has two "siblings" Leo and Ilsa. Leo is one of the hardest people I have ever met. He's so strong, but that's also his weakness. He's a very interesting character and I feel like leaving him up to your own judgement is the best way to leave his character.

Ilsa is the best character in this entire novel. She holds so much depth and I love her story. It terrifies and fascinates me. I love her so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much. Seriously. Her and August are just wonderful. I love them to pieces.

There are a few different types of monsters...

“Corsai, Corsai, tooth and claw,
Shadow and bone will eat you raw.
Malchai, Malchai, sharp and sly,
Smile and bite and drink you dry.”
“Sunai, Sunai, eyes like coal,
Sing you a song and steal your soul.”

This is haunting and simply brilliant. I love the simplistic way that Schwab describes these vile creatures. I think that the monsters descriptions every time they appeared were my favorite. I love Schwab's descriptions in regards to anything even remotely evil.

OH MY GOD. Sloan. Haunting. Vicious. Terrifying. ABSOLUTELY FRIGHTENING. That is all.

I cannot wait to see what the sequel holds for us. It will definitely be monster-filled.

There is so much I want to say about this book. But I just think I'll keep it to what I have said. I find it powerful enough. You want this book. I assure you. I'll reread when I get my US finished copy, I'm sure and maybe I'll revisit this reviews as I reread soon. :) YOU WANT THIS BOOK.

HAPPY RELEASE DAY!!!! Have you read any Schwab books? What's your favorite of hers?




No comments:

Post a Comment