Saturday, July 16, 2016

The Lost Planet by Rachel Searles (Chase Garrety Book #1)

The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
Title: The Lost Planet
Author: Rachel Searles
Page Count: 384
Genre: Middle Grade Sci-Fi/ Adventure
Rating: 2 Stars
Source: My coworker Bailey!
Links:
Synopsis: This is what the boy is told:

• He woke up on planet Trucon, inside a fence he shouldn't have been able to pass.
• He has an annirad blaster wound to the back of his head.
• He has no memory.
• He is now under the protection of a mysterious benefactor.
• His name is Chase Garrety.

This is what Chase Garrety knows:

• He has a message: "Guide the star."
• Time is running out.


Review: Goodreads Amazon Barnes & Noble The Book Depository

Rachel Searles shows immense potential with her writing, because it is simple yet not bad at all. It shows promise and as she writes more, she will improve and become a very good writer, I believe. This is very obviously her debut novel.

This is a very "safe" book. And by that I mean it's nothing super new. The plot twists are fairly predictable and it is VERY trope-y. And it's an alright book. Nothing that pisses me off, but nothing that truly makes me love the book.

The characters were kinda flat. Chase was annoying because he doesn't remember anything and it's mentioned all the freaking time and he's a SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE YAY. *rolls eyes* . Parker was pretty cool and I enjoyed his presence in the novel. Mina is an android and I love her. She was a gem in this otherwise bland novel.

There were some CRINGEWORTHY lines that I don't even want to quote here because they were THAT bad. But they were along the lines of. "I'm... different. I can do this." Gag me. I hated those sections.

However despite all of the tropy, cringeworthy atrociousness. I did find myself sort of enjoying this. I feel like it's just super juvenile. I will give this author another chance later in her career but for now it's safe to say that this series itself is not for me. I won't be continuing on. I heard the sequel isn't that great anyways.

I think this is more the case of me reading a lot and getting more picky in what I read rather than the skill of the author. I'm actually sad I didn't love it more.

I will say the plot is very intriguing and fast-paced and makes up for the bland characters. That's what kept me going with this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment