Saturday, August 6, 2016

ARC Review: The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon

The Sun Is Also a Star
Title: The Sun Is Also A Star
Author: Nicola Yoon
Page Count: 344
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Rating: 5
 Amazon IndieBound Goodreads Barnes & Noble The Book Depository
Source: I won an ARC via Barnes & Noble Teen Book Fest Trivia Night!

Synopsis: Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?


Review: This book made me believe in love at first sight again. It's absolutely beautiful.

I was hesitant for the first 30ish pages. but then it made sense. Everything clicked. I got the story and how it was being told. and I adored everything that came after.

Natasha trusts only science and facts

and Daniel is such a hopeless romantic.
Together they make a breathtaking constellation.

This book has so many important topics: Undocumented Immigration; Parental Overprotection; Multiverse Theory; The impact you have on others lives, no matter how small a matter may seem.

This book is important because it accurately portrays societal stereotypes put on various ethnic groups based on outward appearances and expectations.

and I love the ending of this book. it was as perfect as I could have hoped for.

the hopeless romantic in me swooned over this day that changed their lives forever.

Continuing my thoughts after the initial stream of thoughts was written:

Okay. I must admit, I was super wary going into this book because I was afraid I wasn't going to like it as much as I liked Everything, Everything. I had no need to worry because this book blew me away. In TSIAAS we follow Natasha, a Jamaican American who is facing deportation in 12 hours, and Daniel, a Korean American boy whose family is too strict and too set on him becoming a doctor.

Except, Daniel doesn't want to be a doctor. He writes poetry. He's just too afraid to defy his family.

and Natasha's mother might tell her that "Everything happens for a reason." but Natasha doesn't believe in that. She believes in things she can see, science,facts, the works. Natasha decides to take matters into her own hands and attempt to stop the deportation.

And in a single moment there lives are changed forever because Natasha and Daniel meet at one fateful moment. And everything that comes after tells a story of love, loss, and growing into oneself.

I had a dream the night after I read this that I was being deported. I, a white male, being deported. That's insane and would never happen. But this book made me feel it. Made me feel the pain that these families are going through. Granted, not nearly as strong as they feelas they are being kicked out of the land they call home. It's not a fair thing. But this book presents so many important glances at how this could possibly feel. And boy was it palpable. It's a terrifying ordeal and I feel so strongly for Natasha and for Daniel.

I love the way this story is told. Through first person for both Natasha and Daniel and then it weaves into third person for these "breaking of the third wall" kind of situations. We get to hear stories from all of these people and how their lives are interconnected with Tasha and Daniel's. It's a very clever way to tell a story and I loved reading it.

I cannot say that I actually understand how Natasha and Daniel feel, because I have never been a situation even remotely close to the ones that they experience. Although I can say that I sympathisize with them, and by God I try my best to understand. I felt emotions I haven't felt this strongly since I read More Happy Than Not.

I did tear up a few times. It hit me hard, this story. It was beautifully written and told so honestly. You could very well tell that Nicola Yoon's words came from a place of true stories. You can just tell that she has a personal connection to these stories. And that's what makes it so special.

I love this book. It has immense depth, and gorgeous stories. If I had to make a critique it would be stupid and would be the amount of times "says" was used. But I honestly don't care enough about that. It was just slightly annoying.

Love, love, love this book. You will too.

2 comments:

  1. I'm soooo excited for this book to come out. I admit I'm not really into first-love type of stories, but this sounds really interesting. I wish you could tell us how it ends because with the deportation and everything, I honestly can't see where this is going. But that would be a huge spoiler obviously :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I even read this, I needed to make sure you were the one who wrote it before I lost my damn mind on a stranger. i have an irrational love for it and I can't wait to flail all over Nicola for it.

    AND THAT ENDING?!? CAN YOU EVEN BELIEVE HOW PERFECT IT WAS??? I AM SO HAPPY YOU LOVED IT.

    ReplyDelete