Sunday, July 19, 2015

Book Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles Book 2)

Picture

Title: Scarlet
Author: Marissa Meyer
Page Count: 452
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction; Fairy Tale Retelling
Rating: 4.25/5

This sequel to Cinder follows Scarlet Benoit as she struggles with the disappearance of her grandmother. She is determined to save her grandmother. As she is searching for clues she encounters a street fighter named Wolf. He has information that she needs to save her grandmother and the two embark on a quest to save Grand-mere. 
Cinder begins the novel attempting to break out of prison. If she succeeds she will become the most wanted fugitive in all of the Commonwealth. 
The dangers they both face are imminent. They must fight for what they want and what they believe in. Little do they know that their destinies are intertwined. 

I really enjoyed this book. I didn't love it, but their was not enough for me to dislike it. It was very slow starting out. It took me a long while to get into the book, but once I did I was so glad I had continued. 
This book is action packed and less predictable than Cinder, ( I enjoyed Cinder slightly more even though I gave it less stars) but in regards to the overall story line, I feel Scarlet had a leg up. 
Scarlet is bad-ass and lovable, as is Cinder, and seeing the world from both points of view was quite interesting. Scarlet was written better in this novel, as the focus was more heavily on Scarlet, but that being said Cinder was also strong. 

I think the problem I had with the book was its super slow first 100 or so pages. There were a few moments during them that the plot would move along quicker but for the most part, I found it hard to continue picking up.

The good news is: It got better! By the end I had been reading for a long time trying to finish the book because it all got so intense. The action was definitely the best part, and sort of seeing from Levana's point of view was so unexpected and interesting. 
This was a book that has elements worse than Cinder and many elements better than Cinder. If you enjoyed Cinder in the slightest, I would pick this up. It is a good read. Not the best, but still worth your time.

I will have another review up as soon as I can. 
Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment