Saturday, April 23, 2016

So I Watched The Last Five Years... And Now I'm Crying...

Okay, woaaaaaaaaah. I just finished watching The Last Five Years starring Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan!




(YAY FOR NETFLIX!)

Anyways, this movie adaptation of this musical is so beautiful. It is entirely *97%* done in song, and boy is it gorgeous and heartbreaking and lovely and the singing ahhhh the singing.... ITS SO DAMN GOOD.

If you don't know anything about this musical movie, It follows Jamie Wellerstein and Cathy Wyatt (I may have butchered the spellings, but hey...) over the Last Five Years of their relationship. But it does this with a twist....

It begins with Cathy at the end of the relationship.
And Jamie at the beginning of the relationship.
They then meet in the middle.

And god is it perfect! The entire concept is beautiful, in my opinion because it lets us see the many facets of this relationship while keeping us intrigued as to why everything happened the way it is. And no matter the decisions of these characters, and how frustrated you get, (at leas for me) I couldn't help rooting for them. The are fully fleshed out characters, and I want to see these kind of romances in YA fiction today, because it would allow us to see the struggles of a relationship that is trying so desperately to work out, and just isn't.

The music is so hypnotic, and has some of the catchiest songs I have ever heard, I just love them so much.

I particularly like:

Shiksa Goddess (Jamie)
Movin' Too Fast (Jamie)
The Schmuel Song ( Jamie)
Summer In Ohio ( Cathy)
If I Didn't Believe In You (Jamie)
Part of That (Cathy)

That one song at her audition I cannot remember.... xD

Anyways, I just felt the need to post about this.

The story itself is very moving, and soul crushing... It made me feel things I haven't felt in a long time.

I had the pleasure of watching this musical a few months ago at Aloha High School starring Emily Upton and Jerod Packard (keep their names in your head for they will be on broadway someday... I swear) and GOD I JUST CAN'T HANDLE THIS MUSICAL.

Playing these characters on stage, live, is practically impossible because you have to be able to switch inbetween the beginnings of a relationship unto heartbreak, and every little thing inbetween, and goodness that is difficult. This musical has destroyed me, and finally watching the movie version gave me an even better grasp on my love for it, and for Jeremy Jordan (whom I love in Supergirl!)

Please, do yourself a favor. GO WATCH THIS MUSICAL!

Now to go see Jungle Book, because I have been wanting to go see this since it released, and well, a lot longer than that!

Peace guys!

- Cody Roecker <3





No comments:

Post a Comment